Mittwoch, 30. Juni 2010

The moon and the wind

English version of "Mondgeschichte"

The moon stood full and bright over Vienna bathing streets, squares and houses in a silver-matt light. So close did he hold his crater-scarred face over the city that one could reach for it, and with a gentle look of worldly wisdom he watched the wind blowing through the streets.

The latter seemed particularly displeased today. He rushed in the trees, shook the shutters, tore the awnings, drove a few old newspapers in a wild chase and howled miserably at every corner. When he blew a particularly strong gust through Gumpendorfer Straße, a little angel, who had sat in the moonlight on number 131, flew away just in time, otherwise it would have simply been blown away.

The moon looked at the bustle of the wind for a while. Then he asked him:
"What are you doing? Why are you so wild?"
"Oh," the wind replied, casually knocking over a parasol, "I'm sad and desperate."
"Why is that?" the moon asked.
"To tell you the truth, because I envy you," replied the wind.
Now the moon was a little surprised.
"You envy me? What is it about?", he asked.
"Well, look," said the wind, "You stand so strong and self-confident in the sky, so calm and proud, and immerse the whole world in such a magical light that people start dreaming, poets start writing and lovers begin to kiss... "I, on the other hand, cannot do anything that touches hearts."

The moon thought in silence for a while. Then he replied calmly and considerately:
"Yes, I think I understand what you mean. And if you are so open-hearted, then I will gladly confess to you that I also envy you from time to time. For I stand so full and strong in the sky only a few days of the month. The rest of the time I have to spend growing patiently or shrinking painfully. The light with which I illuminate the earth is not even my own; I must borrow it and may only pass it on. And if a few feeble clouds please to wrap me up, my effect is gone.
You, on the other hand, are moving something! Through your power you blow the sails of the ships sailing around the earth. You drive the mills where grain is ground into flour. You carry the seed of plants across the land and keep it fertile. And finally, you let colourful flags wave on festive days and make people happy. All this is good and important, and without you life would be much harder. I delight the senses and yet I am senseless. But you lay the foundations of life."

So the moon spoke, and the wind paused to listen to him. Then they were both silent for a long time. Suddenly the little angel, who had returned to its place in the meantime, spoke out in the silence:
"You're both right, of course," it said, "and so everyone has a purpose. The poet needs the moonlight, and the miller needs the wind. Do not envy one another for the effect, but be glad and eager to accomplish your task as best you can. For the whole lives on diversity, and everyone must do what they can."

They saw this, and henceforth, the moon shone as willingly and without envy as the wind blew.